Immigration and Refugee Law

There are many reasons someone may relocate to a different country. In Canada, many newcomers arrive as students, workers, visitors, or as refugees fleeing danger in their homeland. In each situation, legal advice is necessary to ensure you have the necessary documentation. 

Most immigrants to Canada are workers or family members. Canada needs immigrant workers to fill gaps in the workforce because the baby boomer generation has reached retirement age and the Canadian birth rate is low. With the family class of immigration, Canada aims to reunite family members through family sponsorship. Family is defined as spouses, partners, children, parents, and grandparents

The smallest group of newcomers to Canada is refugees and protected persons, who face persecution or other dangers in their homeland. Around 50% of those who apply as refugees are not allowed to remain in Canada because they are unable to prove their refugee claim. In Manitoba, Legal Aid might be available for applicants who qualify financially and who are applying for refugee status, opposing deportation, or opposing removal orders.

Canada also welcomes a large number of foreign students, with over 600,000 foreign students per year studying at Canada’s universities and high schools. Foreign students generally need a study permit to study in Canada. If a foreign student wants to work while in Canada, a work permit is also required.

In each of these categories, it is important to seek legal advice to ensure you have the required documentation. You may need a study permit, work permit, family sponsorship, refugee application, or other documentation. Call Vanessa at 204-557-1533 or email to schedule a free 30-minute initial consultation. Services offered:

  • Seeking refugee status
  • Opposing deportation
  • Opposing removal order
  • Temporary student, visitor, and workers permit
  • Permanent resident application
  • Provincial nominee program application
  • Family sponsorship
  • Humanitarian and compassionate application

Meet the experts

No items found.

Contact me now for legal help.